Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Internet -- safety -- tips?
Hello to all.
When we use the internet related macros and functions of QM should we take care of some parameters? e.g. should we use some code that makes sure that a connection is terminated or a port is closed or something?
Memory: 1024 MB (1016 MB system + 8 MB video)
Virtual Memory: 2.00 GB
CPU: 1.60 GHz
Most internet functions close connection before returning.
When using variables of Ftp class, the connection is closed when destroying the variable, or you can close explicitly earlier.
Most internet functions don't execute web page scripts. For example, IntGetFile just downloads the file. As well as functions of classes Http and Ftp.
If using web browser control in dialogs, it could be unsafe. Web page scripts are executed, etc, like in Internet Explorer. It runs not in protected mode like Internet Explorer. To make safer, you can set to run the macro in separate process with Low integrity level. Look in Properties dialog. Same if using HtmlDoc class with flags to execute scripts.
Hi, Gintaras. It has been a while, huh?
So, if I get it right, if we don't use web browser controls in dialogs we don't have to think about ports and connections?
Even if we do use web browser controls and scripts are executed, are we "back in safety" when we make sure that all the related QM treads are terminated (either automatically or manually)? The following may be a lame question :oops: but I don't have any knowledge about it so I have to ask: could a web page script start another QM thread (or any unwanted thread)? When it's about internet, if we run QM in a virtual machine will it be more safe?
QM internet functions use Windows Wininet API or Windows web browser control. I don't know much what they do internally, and what can be unsafe. I don't believe that Wininet API could be unsafe or leave unclosed connections when the QM thread ends. You can find more info about the API and control on the internet.

When using web browser control, if the macro runs in separate thread with Low integrity level, it is as safe as Internet Explorer. But on Window XP there are no integrity levels; anyway, web browser control safety will be the same as of Internet Explorer.
Thank you. It's not like I know how safe or unsafe Internet Explorer is, I just wanted to minimize to a degree (i.e. as much as my lack of knowledge allows me to) the risks by asking for some tips.
By the way, should I assume that Internet Explorer should be installed and not in the offline state? Any issues with older versions of it (in case we use the portable QM in another user's machine)?
No problems with Internet Explorer versions, state, etc.
Does it (Internet Explorer) have to be installed?
I uninstalled IE 10 on my Windows 7. IE now is gone, but QM internet functions and web browser control still work. Of course web doesn't. I don't know whether everything/everywhere will be the same. Google does not give many results when I search for web browser control, "Internet Explorer" not installed, it seems that nobody care about it, and nobody knows.
Sorry, I really didn't know that the presence of Internet Explorer was so irrelevant. I just asked because previously you answered only about the verion and the state and, in general, I 've "heard" several times - regarding troubleshooting - that it has to be installed, or not in offline state, or to be of a certain version and above etc. and I didn't want its absence to be one of the possibilities if my internet related macros don't work while in another user's computer and have to consider installing it and experimenting. I persolally have been - quite formally - told by a software developer and a technical department, regarding two different programs, to take care of some of the aforementioned parameters. So don't get me wrong for asking.

I get the point now. Thank you.
I forgot about offline, never use it. QM internet functions and web browser control depend on IE offline state.
Some functions have a "make online" flag.
Macro Macro2189
Code:
Copy      Help
IntGetFile "http://www.quickmacros.com" _s 4
out _s
Also there are functions to test/set it.
Macro Macro2191
Code:
Copy      Help
IntGoOnline(1)
out IntIsOnline

Ftp and email functions don't depend on offline.
Thank you.