Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any way to turn off sound (mute) for a specified time
Hi Gintaras,
I know you can actually turn the monitor on and off for a period of time from QM. Is there anyway to mute the computer. I am sending webpage updates to a hidden dialog (user clicks to make appear with web page already updated). I don't want the series of "clicks" that Windows IE makes upon updating web page to be heard by the user (since it is a background update as opposed to a user-generated action, this could be distracting or worrisome for the user).
Thanks,
S
You can turn off the sound in Control Panel -> Sounds -> Sounds -> Windows Explorer -> Start Navigation -> None -> Apply? (and restart IE)
If yes, macro can turn off the sound in registry, with rset. The key is:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\Explorer\Navigating\.Current
Thanks Gintaras, I will look into this. I was thinking more of a temporary mute: e.g. for 10 sec or until web page finished loading.
S
It would mute sound in all applications. On Vista/7 can mute only in QM. In any case, not so easy as with rget/rset.
that's ok to mute all for the few seconds. Is it possible to quickly mute then restore sound a few seconds later with rset....without a reboot?
S
does not work without reboot?
If ok to mute all:

key (VK_VOLUME_MUTE)
key (VK_VOLUME_MUTE)
definitely ok to mute all. This was exactly what I was looking for. Sorry Gintaras for not stating more clearly that I didn't need to just mute the browser clicks but a general mute would be ok...and thanks TheVig for helping out!
S
is there a way to turn off the clicking in IE's sound profile? that is, change the sound theme?
An old blog on QM coding and automation.

The Macro Hook
see post #2
I was talking about Themes->Sounds
is that the same thing?
An old blog on QM coding and automation.

The Macro Hook
Windows 7 Control Panel -> Personalization?

All sounds of all themes are there in registry.
.current is of current theme.
what about renaming the wave file for short time, so that the system doesn't find it?
pi