Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Create a start menu icon
I have created this little pong game and I would like to know how I can make a start menu icon for it. I think that is what you call it when you put a shortcut on the start menu so if you want to run the game you press start > all programs > games > pong and the pong game will start running.

I think that I know how to do everything except I do not understand how to tell which user account that I want to place the game in. There are three usurer accounts on this computer and as long as I am learning I thought it would be a good idea to learn how to ask the user in which account the user would like to place the file.

This is the first time that I tried to make an installer so it will be very crude but I think that it would be a good idea to do something like.

Example:

Have a dialog that asks the user in witch account they want to install the pong game. (this is the part that I do knot know how to do).

Have the install program make the directory and place the pong game in the user account and folder that the user would like. (I have never dune this before but I know DOS and I most likely can do it).

Have a message appear saying install complete (I am sure that I can do this).
Don't you just need to put a shortcut in the right directory?

C:\Users\...\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

There's a forum post somewhere on here about creating shortcuts.

Aren't there also ways to get current user? You could use that bit right?

I don't really know...I'm just making suggestions.

Jimmy Vig
Setup programs create shortcuts for current user or for all users.

Macro
Code:
Copy      Help
CreateShortcut "$programs$\my program\my program.lnk" "$program files$\my program\my program.exe"
;or
CreateShortcut "$common programs$\my program\my program.lnk" "$program files$\my program\my program.exe"

Don't know is it possible to create a shortcut for some other user only.
Thank You all! I was trying to make it a lot harder then it needed to be.