Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
QM vs WSH, PowerShell, etc etc
Hi,

WSH, PowerShell, VBscript, Perl, Perlscript
etc etc

Can any help me understand where QM fits in within the scripting universe. My only portal on this world is through QM so it's hard for me to figure out the shape of how these things relate to one another.

Usually I can figure these things out for myself (with the help of Google and Wiki and Amazon) but I keep on going deeper and deeper down the rabbit hole rather than getting a birds' eye perspective.

Will it be helpful to buy books on these things? Should I run stuff in parallel to stuff I am doing in QM?

Thanks so much,
Stuart
QM belongs to keyboard macro programs. It's primary purpose - automating repetitive computer tasks. Other scripting languages (not 'macro') also automate something, but macro programs mostly automate OTHER PROGRAMS, through their USER INTERFACE, mostly by using KEYBOARD and MOUSE commands, that usually can be RECORDED. They also do other tasks that AN AVERAGE COMPUTER USER KNOWS AND COULD DO MANUALLY, for example run files, copy files, activate a window, shut down computer.

QM and similar macro programs also can do many of things that WSH or PowerShell can do, so you can put QM together with them too.

QM and similar macro programs cannot run in web pages (like javascript, vbscript, etc) and on web servers (like php).

QM also can be used to create applications. However I don't recommend to do serious programming in QM. Better learn some powerful and popular programming language. But if you learn to use API (dll) functions and interfaces in QM, later it may be useful, because you can directly or indirectly use that knowledge in programming languages too.

If we classify macro/scripting/programming programs and languages by how they are powerful, difficult to use, difficult to learn, QM would occupy maybe 2/3 of the spectrum, starting from doing simplest things (eg recording/playing keyboard and mouse actions) and ending with programming at API level (which is similar to programming in C/C++). However it does not mean that everyone have to learn and use the full spectrum of QM possibilities. Start from simplest things, and when it will be not enough, learn more, and so on.
Hi Gintaras,
Thank you for explaining that so clearly to me.
Stuart