Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Macro GUI - should I move to HTML?
I'm nearly finished with coding Macro del Diablo, and need to start working on making it look more like a finished app instead of a continuous series of pop-up dialogs and message boxes.

The macro now starts with a decent looking smart dialog with a fair number of controls (text inputs, date picker, combo and drop downs etc) for making all necessary settings to run the rest of the process; after that it runs for 5 or 6 minutes with occasional status boxes and OK/Cancel dialogs. I want to create a single window that will have the init smart dialog controls and then switch to displaying a series of progress points and possibly animations ("Now converting HDV files to WMV", "Archiving files to network" etc) to make all the waiting a little more interesting and informative while waiting...

Questions:

1. I'm leaning towards using HTML pages for the GUI because of familiarity (tho perhaps multi page dialog would work better?). Before I start substantially tweaking the code, I wanted to ask for your valued recommendations and any obvious pitfalls to avoid etc.

2. If I port over to HTML for the GUI, is there any way to display my initial smart dialog within a browser window (or vice versa -- I think I just answered my question...), or should I redo the input controls as an HTML form? Or perhaps suggest any other methods of saving some or all of that work?

3. This program will need to be compiled to exe, but will only be used on one or two edit stations -- is this a consideration in deciding which method to use (the workstations will certainly have IE, not sure if XP or Vista OS however...)?

Your help/opinions are always appreciated!

Steve

PS. I have another question, but I'll start a new thread on that topic...

[edit for clarity]
Both methods (classic dialog and HTML) would work, in QM and in exe. However I don't have experience with using HTML as GUI in QM, eg don't know how to show (if possible) classic dialogs from HTML.
Thanks for the ultra quick response...

I'll do some tests and post if I come across anything interesting or useful...
if you have permission to install exe, then
run: Protocol Handler 2.0 could be helpful when using html.
pi
Hi,

Thanks pointing me to Protocol Handler. That looks ideal.

I'm just getting a hang of using SHDocVw.WebBrowser (from within QM) which I believe follows Windows/IE internet settings (?). If that is the case, I would be concerned about some IT guy or login script resetting permissions, which I can't risk...

I really want to try to make Protocol Handler work -- Off the top of your head, do you know of an alternative simple browser or other control method to operate independently of any Windows/IE settings?

In the meantime, off to Source Forge...

Thanks!

Steve
you try to use the Mozilla ActiveX Control:
http://www.iol.ie/~locka/mozilla/control.htm
pi
Note. Mozilla ActiveX control does not support multithreading, even if created in different threads that run nonsimultaneously. For this reason it can be used only in exe. If using in QM, QM will crash next time.