Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Open In App
Is there an "open in app" function

for example if I wanted to open a jpg file first in (say test.jpg) first in Paint, then in IE, then in irfanview.exe , how would I do this?
I don't see that in the open file dialog

Stuart
i think each one has it's own method. usually it's in the command-line parameters. once you have the code for the particular program, look up 'run' in the qm help to get how to piece it together for QM.
An old blog on QM coding and automation.

The Macro Hook
This works with most programs:

Code:
Copy      Help
run "...app.exe" "...document.doc"

Sometimes may need to enclose in quotes, especially if contains spaces:

Code:
Copy      Help
run "...app.exe" "''...document.doc''"

Sometimes the path must not contain spaces, and quotes are not supported. Then make short path:

Code:
Copy      Help
str s
s.dospath("...doc ume nt.doc")
run "app.exe" s

Sometimes the command line must (or can) include something more. When a document type is associated with a program, you can see the command line in the registry, HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT. Replace %1 with the document path.
The problem I am having is that the file type does not have an extension so everytime I try to run it, the "associate file type dialog comes up (each time for each file). I would like to avoid this step so I don't have to have QM steps for these GUI-interaction steps.

Oddly, when you drag and drop one of the files directly onto the program, it opens perfectly. I have QM'd out those steps but it would be better if I could recreate that association that comes with drag and drop with a run type command (without bringing up the dialog).

I will try the solutions you mentioned but just wondering if this particular problem has come up before with any other apps.

Thanks,
Stuart
consider using the qm shell menu extension in explorer and common dialogs
(context menu).

Shell menu extension triggers

it might be also a good idea to assign a default application for unknown files.

Specify Unknown File Type Options (All Windows)

Quote:Open your registry and find the key below.

Set the "(Default)" value to equal the description you want to use for unknown file types:

Create a new sub-key called [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Unknown\shell\Open\Command] and set the "(Default)" value to equal the command used to view unknown file types. Substitute the symbol "%1" to represent the filename in the command (e.g. "notepad.exe %1").

Restart Windows for the change to take effect.

an advanced approach could be to assign unknown files to a qm function.
pi
For some reason in the run statement, I thought the file name came first (in most cases window name comes 2nd)

I retried it like this:

Quote:run "$program files$\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE" "$desktop$\Copy of alz"

with alz being a jpeg that I took the extension of. It seemed to work, so tomorrow I will try with the real program at another location.

If that doesn't work, I will try the registry fixes you mentioned.

Thanks,
Stuart