Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lost QuickMacros Screen
I foolishly put the following command in a macro:

wait 7200 p10

and then realized that it would never stop since the CPU kept running at 40%. I exited QM, but I guess the macro kept running. Now when I start QM, I do not get any screen. I can see the process qm.exe in the taskbar runninng at 40%, but all I can do is end it. I let it run overnight and the process still did not end.

What can I do now? Can I uninstall and then download again, then enter the same license code I used to purchase the software?
if it was a macro you built then it would end when you hit Pause/Break.
if it was a function then it would end when you exited QM (not the editor but the entire process via the system tray).

when it starts up it sounds like you have a folder selected not a macro. open the editor again and hit Ctl-N to make a new one and it should set you straight.
An old blog on QM coding and automation.

The Macro Hook
Probably some macro runs when QM starts, and the macro eats 40% CPU.

Try this:

1. Exit QM using QM tray icon or Task Manager.
2. Locate Quick Macros icon in Start menu -> Programs -> Quick Macros 2.
3. Press F8, click the icon, wait for a message box, release F8.
4. Click Yes in the message box. After that, any macro or function cannot run. Also, QM window should appear.
5. Locate all macros and functions that have 'QM file loaded' or 'QM started' or 'Windows started' trigger. You can use the My Macros window for this. Look for code that may eat much CPU, for example rep without wait. Correct the code. Or disable these macros.
6. Locate function named init2. If it exists, review it like in step 5. Note that disabling it would not help.
7. If these macros/functions are created by somebody else, and you don't know how to correct them, or they are encrypted, please contact the author.
I pressed F8 as you said and ran QM in safe mode.

I still am not getting a QM window and the process is running at 40%.
Do you remember some of these changes before QM stopped working?

1. QM settings changed in Options.
2. Your QM macro list file changed.
3. Installed new QM version.
4. Installed other program(s).
5. Some other important changes in QM or system.

What is your QM version? What is Windows version?

Try to completely uninstall QM, then download newest version and install again. Before uninstalling, rename My QM folder in My Documents to eg My QM 2.

If this will not help, try to run System Restore, if possible.
Thanks for your tips - I was copying macros into C:\Applications\QuickMacros\Installed Files instead of C:\My Documents\My QM. When I moved them back, I was able to get the program to start in safe mode.

Thanks again!