Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Implementing autocomplete
I work for a company that creates operating manuals for complex processing plants which contain 1000's of components. Each of the components of course has a name and a Tag (example: HP Air Vessel MFD-HPA-UH-1678). We spend many hours per manual just typing in component names and tags. I tried using the Word autocomplete, autotext and custom dictionary fuctions to speed the process. But they don't work well with spaces, hyphens, or numbers. Then I created a few macros which searched for text then presented lists of the possible names and tags. That works but is still time consuming. My next thought is to use something like QM uses for easy selection of member functions for strings. As soon as I start typing a few letters which match, an inactive list is presented and narrows the more I type, but allows for selection. What's going to be the easiest way to implement this? Is the code for QM's autocomplete feature availible so that I can look at it and get some ideas. Thanks

Attached Files Image(s)

Matt B
Use some other program for this. For example "Auto Typing Pro" (maybe not the best, but it was first i found).

Auto Typing Pro really works well. You can iport list of phrases from a txt file to the user dictionary. Disable "Enable autolearn", disable "shorthand autoexpand", disable "auto typing dictionary" (in dictionaries manager). Then restart.