Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Import with replace(overwrite)
I think it would be very handy if the import functionality had an option to replace macros when importing.
Because IIRC when you import a macro or function it will be renamed with a number after it, if there is already one with same name.
This replace functionality will help ppl to share updates/patches to their macros, without the user needing to delete and rename...

Another thing that will help also, with this replace, is to import a macro or function in the same folder tree as it is in the import file, without the prepended filename as foldername.
Ofcourse this is only when choosing replace.

That way the original coder can have its own structure of folders with functions/macros and share updates/patches without users, who import these, needing todo manual things like delete old before import and move to correct folder after import...
Well thats all for now, 3M
Ok.
Quote:without the prepended filename as foldername

Usually, when I export several macros/functions, I add them all to a single folder and export the folder. When importing, the structure is recreated. So far i didn't need to export/import several root folders/items.
Oh i forgot to mention that if you export a folder or macro/function that is inside some folder, it needs to be exported with the total path to it.
That way you can update some function, or several, and export what you updated to a single file for the user to import back with replace.
Currently it doesnt remember in which folder it was when you export...

Example:
Code:
Copy      Help
Root folder
|
---Subfolder
    |
    +--Function1
    +--Function2
    ---Function3
Now if i only want to export Function2, it should have that folder hirarchy in the export file...
Do you know what i mean?
Like a patch. Ok, I'll think about it.
Hmm yea...indeed you could call that export functionality "Export as patch".
And when you import no need to have a replace button because QM would know its a patch file and autmaticaly replace?
hmmm... :wink: