Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MessageBox without beep
No-beep option for mes command

Needed is message box with option to not play the default beep.

This option would allow greater flexibility & customization each time the box is used - would allow to have no sound or a custom sound (using bee) beforehand.

Sounds are very informative, while unneeded sounds can be disruptive or annoying (and inefficient, as the beep at times takes seconds before it sounds on a busy computer). So the no-beep option seems a grand oversight by Microsoft in all these functions: MessageBox, MessageBoxEx, MessageBoxIndirect. I'm guessing that QM uses one of these for mes -- so the option may be too much work to implement. If not, if it's instead a simple matter, then great! Otherwise, it's up to me or someone spending the time to create the dialogs needed to duplicate the mes command.

Would the option be not too much work to implement?

Or, is there a way to automatically set the message-box sound to null or something else, then, after the box is displayed, to reset the sound to default?

Related links:

Improving Data Entry Feedback with Sound
Messagebox Handler Foundation Class (Microsoft Visual FoxPro) (--> lBeep property)
Message Box Replacement that Doesn't beep
MessageBox "without beep" - Google Groups: comp.lang.pascal.delphi.misc
Google Groups : microsoft.public.fox.helpwanted

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Yes, QM uses MessageBoxIndirect. I noticed that sound depends on icon. When you use q (QM icon), there is no sound. Also, you can use ix (no icon).

Code:
Copy      Help
mes "Do you hear something?" "" "YNq"
In future QM versions, to disable default sound, use s in style.

mes "silent" "" "is"
Fantastic! :lol: